Nominations for the first Fuwa Award is now open (Due: JST 23:59, 31 January, 2024). Nominations can be made only by the current JADE members (full members & student members), and they can be either self-nominations or nominations of other scholars. The nominees should satisfy the conditions outlined below.
●To nominate, use this nomination form.
The Fuwa Award is officially launched in 2021. The qualifications and criteria for the award are as follows.
Click here for the Fuwa Award Recipients
1. JADE has established the JADE Award in Development Economics in Memory
of Nobuhiko Fuwa (hereafter “Fuwa Award”) to remember the achievements
of late Professor Fuwa of the University of Tokyo, who passed away at his
young age of 56 while still making excellent research achievements in the
field of development economics. His notable contributions were on gender
and poverty issues, including his pioneering work on impact evaluations
of conditional cash transfer programs for female students in Bangladesh,
intra-household resource allocation in India, and poverty research in the
Philippines. The Fuwa Award is aimed to honor and support research of those
scholars who have made remarkable international research achievements in
these areas of development economics.
2. The winner of the Fuwa Award should satisfy the following conditions.
(1) A regular or student member at the time of winning the award.
(2) Being affiliated or having been affiliated with a university, research
institution, or related organization in Japan and engaging in research
in development economics.
(3) Having made internationally prominent research achievements in “the
area that contributes to improving social status of women in developing
3. The Fuwa Award is given once a year based on the past research achievements of the awardees, particularly the research publication in internationally reputable refereed journals. The establishment of the selection committee and the process of selections, including treatment and weighting of co-authorships, are determined by the JADE Board members. When these criteria are not satisfied by any of the candidates in a year, the Fuwa Award in that year is not awarded.
4. The winner of the Fuwa Award is provided an honorable certificate and
5. The Fuwa Award is supported by an anonymous donation given
to JADE and is launched with a time limit of ten years.